Our commitment to privacy:
La Generalista (Crowder House Inc.) knows that protecting the privacy and confidentiality of your personal information is important to you. This Privacy Code governs the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information in any form, whether written or electronic, by La Generalista (Crowder House Inc.). The collection, use and disclosure of your personal information is governed by the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (the “Act”), and any applicable provincial legislation. This Privacy Code explains what personal information may be collected from you and how it is used. It also explains how you can ask questions, make suggestions, and express concerns about our privacy practices.
This Privacy Code applies only to personal information collected by La Generalista (Crowder House Inc.). Be aware that our websites may contain links to other websites that are maintained by third parties who are not required to comply with this Privacy Code and for which La Generalista (Crowder House Inc.) has no responsibility. Please review the privacy policies on any external websites to determine their information handling practices.
This Privacy Code is available to the public through our websites. If you have any additional concerns or questions, we encourage you to contact us and we will address your concerns to the best of our ability.
Please read this Privacy Code carefully, and check back periodically as we may update it from time to time. By submitting your personal information to La Generalista (Crowder House Inc.), you signify your agreement to the terms and conditions of this Privacy Code.
What is personal information?
Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual.
La Generalista (Crowder House Inc.) is responsible for personal information under its control. La Generalista (Crowder House Inc.) has implemented policies and practices to give effect to this Privacy Code, including training and communicating with our employees about the importance of privacy and implementing security procedures that reasonably protect the personal information you provide to us.
What is excluded from privacy protection?
This Privacy Code does not impose restrictions on: business contact information, including the name, title, business address or telephone number of an employee of an organization; information collected, used or disclosed solely for journalistic, literary or artistic purposes; publicly available information, such as an individual’s name, telephone number and address when listed in a directory or made available through directory assistance; or information that is aggregated and not associated with a specific individual, including demographic information and statistics.
Children: If you are under the age of 18, be sure to obtain your parent or guardian’s permission before you send any personal information to us, or anyone else. We encourage parents to get involved with their children’s online usage and to be aware of the activities in which they are participating.
What personal information do we collect, and why?
- We collect personal contact information (such as your name, address, email address and telephone numbers) if you: sign up for a newsletter; or register on an online forum or website, or to attend an event. This information is used to fulfill your request for information, products or services, to provide targeted advertising, and to respond to your inquiries.
- We will retain your subscriber ID and passwords so that upon request by you we may remind you of them.
- We collect your credit card information if you: subscribe to a paid service; register on a paid website; enter a paid contest; register to attend a paid event; purchase any product from La Generalista (Crowder House Inc.) or through one of our websites; are an advertiser. This credit card information is used for the purpose of fulfilling your order.
- If you choose to opt-out of any use of your personal information in accordance with our opt-out policy, we will keep your contact information on a list so that your request can be honoured. If you provide a complaint, we will collect your contact information and the nature of your complaint, for the purpose of investigating your concerns and responding to you.
- If you provide freelance or other services to us, we may collect your social insurance number for tax reporting purposes and your contact information in order to pay you.
- We use IP (internet protocol) addresses, to gather demographic and statistical information about our users, for systems administration and to diagnose problems with our servers, and to administer our websites.
- Occasionally, we ask our readers to complete research surveys. If you choose to participate in these surveys and provide your personal information for that purpose, your information will be aggregated as part of the survey results and shared with our readers in a manner that does not identify you.
- Other than as permitted or required by law, if we wish to collect, use or disclose your personal information for purposes that are not contemplated in this Privacy Code, we will identify those purposes at the time of collection. You will be given a reasonable opportunity to opt-out of any such additional purposes.
La Generalista (Crowder House Inc.) does not share your contact information with third-party organizations.
Consent and opt-out policy
In general, La Generalista (Crowder House Inc.) seeks consent to use your personal information in accordance with our opt-out policy. Except as set out in this section, La Generalista (Crowder House Inc.) obtains your express opt-in consent to use or disclose sensitive personal information.
If you do not wish to receive promotional materials, you may opt-out at any time by doing any of the following:
- follow the instructions at the bottom of any promotional email you receive.
- email us at email@example.com and request that your personal information not be used for promotional material.
It may take 2-4 weeks to fully process your opt-out request.
Generally, when you provide us with your personal information, we will assume that you consent to our collection, use and disclosure of such information for the purposes identified or described in this Privacy Code, if applicable, or otherwise at the time of collection. We reserve the right to use and disclose your personal information without your consent where required or permitted by law, for example, if we have reasonable grounds to believe the information could be useful when investigating a contravention of a federal, provincial or foreign law, in order to protect or defend our legal interests, or to comply with applicable laws and lawful governmental requests.
La Generalista (Crowder House Inc.) has technical, contractual, administrative and physical security measures to protect your personal information in a manner that is reasonable and appropriate to the nature of the personal information you provide to La Generalista (Crowder House Inc.). For example, when you provide credit card information to us, we work to help protect the security of your credit card information by using industry standard secure sockets layer (SSL) encryption technology.
Please be aware that email is not a secure medium, and any personal information you send to us by email could be intercepted. If your communication is very sensitive, or includes information such as your credit card number, you should not send it electronically unless the email is encrypted or your browser indicates that the access to our website is secure.
Materials posted to online forums such as bulletin boards or comment sites are public, not secure and may be viewed by anyone.
Any personal information you post may be collected and used by anyone and may result in unsolicited messages from other internet users. La Generalista (Crowder House Inc.) is not responsible for personal information you choose to post or submit in any online forum on any of its websites.
How to access and correct your personal information
Some of our websites provide you with the means to access, update, edit or delete certain subscriber or registration information by going to the appropriate page on the website and changing or deleting such information as desired.
We will give you access to the information we retain about you within a reasonable time, upon written request, satisfactory identification and proof of entitlement. In some cases, we may not provide access to personal information in our possession or control. If we deny your request, we will advise you in writing of the reason for the refusal and you may challenge our decision.
How to address concerns regarding your privacy
La Generalista (Crowder House Inc.) encourages you to contact us with any questions or concerns you have about your privacy or this Privacy Code. If you have a question concerning La Generalista (Crowder House Inc.) Privacy Code, would like a copy, or if you have any concerns, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
This Privacy Code was last updated on October 26, 2015